Question:
How to train conductors feel about themselves when they, while driving the train, actually hit and kill a pedestrian or driver?
A-Town24
2015-09-12 05:43:26 UTC
Often we hear about how someone got hit by a train or a car got stuck on the tracks and the driver dies because they couldn't get off in time, or even animals get hit and run over. For all train conductors out there, how does that make you feel after the event has happened on your watch, whether you saw them or not? How do you live with yourself?
Six answers:
Samurai Hoghead
2015-09-15 11:26:14 UTC
There are no "accidents" on the tracks. Trains do not hunt people down. It is they who put themselves in harm's way and it is they who are responsible to keep themselves in the clear, safe, in one piece and alive.

And of course there are stupid people out there, but that is just Nature's way of thinning the herd, such as a play "chicken" with the train. That's totally pussy. Want a real thrill? Go play chicken with the semi trucks on the freeway. Too dangerous you say? Morons.

I actually knew a man who struck and killed his own daughter. She had gotten the new at the time "Walkman" cassette player for Christmas. Ear phones on, hood drawn tight for the cold January day sealed her fate as she was walking to school along the tracks. About two years later he ate a pistol barrel, but not before watching his marriage crumble, losing the house, rarely working, etc. So, I'd say he died with his daughter that day. It just took a couple of years to happen.

And in addition, there was a grade crossing fatality in a town to the east wherein one of the police officers arrived on the scene of the event found his daughter in the mangled wreckage.

I know a guy who killed eight teenagers in a pleasure van on graduation night. He too was changed forever. He also nailed a car at a crossing and killed an old woman. He was beginning to think his Karma was after him.

I could go on, but I think all can get the picture with these words.

I was lucky. An engineer will kill three people in a 30 year career, statistically. I had none of my own, so I guess the guy who was on the train on graduation night got my three.... his three and two of someone else's three. And for those reasons I bang the safety drum at every opportunity. Therefore, thanks for providing me this small soapbox.

Now, tell someone. You may be saving a life.

The mantra remains: "Look, Listen and Live."
Rona Lachat
2015-09-12 09:10:29 UTC
Believe it or not. The trains are operated by Humans. They DO NOT all have the same reaction when they hit someone.or fell the same way about each and every situation. Hitting a school bus is not a nice thing.

Hitting a stupid idiot walking along the tracks or in front of the train is different.

Hitting someone trying to race the crossing is just a game of tag. Train wins YOU LOOSE.Sad when Mothers take their children on a race.

Mom won the race with the FIRST TRAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMvtDNATP04

They do not know if every one is out of the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNZO1Xti1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgckkeo-IvU

Some may end up loosing their jobs as they can no longer face going down the track. Some have years of nightmares.. Why do you think it is any different than when a truck bus or car drivers kills someone..

Some are able to carry on with their job ,some need some counselling and support from family and co workers.

Most Conductors DO NOT DRIVE THE TRAIN.

Rest assured they do not do cartwheels of joy when they get home.

At the accident scene many others also need to deal with the body parts and other mess. They DO NOT have a fun day either.
Andy
2015-09-13 08:37:56 UTC
For starters it's the engineer running the train,not the conductor. Hitting and killing someone is a terrible thing to go through. It's a career ending event for some of us. Some people just can't mentally deal with it. As for myself, as long as i'm doing the things i'm supposed to be doing in regards to the train operation there's not a thing I can do to prevent it. If you're in a car that get's stuck on the tracks get out and get away from the car. If you drive around the gates and get hit the crew on the train didn't kill you. You killed yourself. I'd feel terrible, but I wouldn't feel responsible.
2015-09-12 05:48:30 UTC
Well, that varries greatly, some are very aware that there's nothing they could've done, some can't let go of the idea they 'should've' done something, anything.

Reality is, if someone jumps in front of a train at speed, or even gets stuck at a crossing, there's nothing you can do, it takes 400 yards to come to a halt, and you can't change lanes.

There's a few instances of course that Conductors have been reckless, speeding, those guys are usually like drunk-drivers, they'll develop a form of denial.
?
2015-10-01 22:50:09 UTC
Some do not, there is a 2 week leave usually given in the US for train crew involved in tragic incidents like this. Here's a great video that shows you what happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNj2Pd2g1dY
2015-09-12 06:05:48 UTC
Wait. I thought engineers drive the train.