Question:
where to live within 1 hour of London by train?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
where to live within 1 hour of London by train?
Eight answers:
rdenig_male
2009-10-15 08:42:07 UTC
Let's start of by being more practical than some of the other answers. You say you will be working near Buckingham Palace, so you don't really want to be commuting from Walton-on-the-Naze. The trains from there terminate at London's Liverpool Street Station which is the other side of Central London from Buck House with not very good connections by tube. I would guess that that part of the journey is going to add 20 - 25 minutes to your commute. The nearest main-line station to the Palace is Victoria, which is within walking distance. That has the immense advantage od being served by commuter lines from most of Kent and Sussex. You could live in the seaside town of Brighton (which has all your requirements) and be in Victoria by fast train in 50 minutes. There are many country towns like Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells in Kent, East Grinstead and Horsham in Sussex, apart from numerous other seaside places and historical villages if you didn't mind a short car commute to the nearest rail-head. Services to these areas are provided by Southern Trains and South-East Trains, both of which have websites which can give you further details about season ticket rates, timetables etc.

Later edit. I noted others have mentioned St.Albans. This, again, has the problem that the train service uses a station (St.Pancras International) which requires underground travel to get to the Victoria area (Victoria Line to Victoria) - although it is served by cross London trains which serve London Bridge from where you can catch the Underground Jubilee line to either Westminster or Green Park, and you can change at Westminster to the Circle line for St. James Park and Victoria. I should also have mentioned that from December, South East trains will be running very fast services from the Kent Coast and Ashford into St Pancras International (at a premium fare) using the Channel Tunnel rail link - or HighSpeed line 1.
trasosmontes
2009-10-15 06:16:11 UTC
St. Albans, Hertfordshire. A pleasant and historical town within half-an-hour's commuting time of London.
RichB
2009-10-18 14:43:43 UTC
I personally think living one hour away from your workplace is crazy - do you really want to be travelling for two hours each and every working day? Your quality of life will be very much reduced compared to living in London itself.

Plus, many trains in the UK are very fast; relatively far flung places like Coventry and Rugby are less than 1 hour from the capital by train, but it would be absolute madness to live so far away and commute in every day.

Have a look at places like Stevenage which I think is about 30mins from central London by train.
david_wilson0
2009-10-16 18:04:39 UTC
nearest mainline station to buck house is victoria,

so think kent or sussex, maybe chatham or brighton,but remember

the cost of fares !!!!!!!!!!
Joolz of Salopia
2009-10-15 13:09:55 UTC
Colchester or Chelmsford are good places to live and are both on the same railway line with Colchester being 20 minutes further up the line.

Anyway Colchester is the oldest recorded town in England and was at one point the capital of England there are loads of old and new things to see it has a zoo, castle and is close to the coast (including Walton on the Naze), and has plenty of food places. The train journey time into London is around 55 minutes.

http://www.visitcolchester.com/

Chelsford in a way is Colchester's sister town and was built as a staging post between Roman London & Colchester (Where they changed Horses). there

http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=8390

I hope that my answer helps.

Joolz
squeaky guinea pig
2009-10-15 07:53:31 UTC
On the outskirts of London or in the Home Counties, i.e. the counties bordering on London, so-called because with the advent of the railway it became possible to live just outside London and commute to work.

There are good suburban train services from all the major London termini. If it's a historical town you want with plenty to do and see you'll be spoilt for choice.

Be warned though - house prices are very high, among the highest in the country. For an average home you won't get much change from £250,000.
andy in greece
2009-10-15 05:53:47 UTC
My wife & I just moved to Walton-on-the-Naze after living in Greece for 30 years. We love it. It's around 60 miles ENE of London on the coast.

We haven't been into London yet, so I don't know how long the journey takes.
?
2009-10-15 00:27:57 UTC
St. Albans is 22 minutes from St. Pancras on the fast trains, 28 minutes for all-stops trains.

It is a pleasant small historic city with a good park and lake and a big Cathedral, with easy access to loads of shopping towns around, and pleasant enough shopping in town anyway, and a big market on Wednesday and Saturday the length of St. Peter's Street, which is the main street.

The countryside all around is beautiful. There is a lovely route to Dunstable Downs straight up the A5 then turn left at Markyate through the lanes to the Downs and to Whipsnade Zoo.

The Chiltern Hills are beautiful. Ashridge (see link) is 30 minutes drive away...fabulous to visit all through the year, with a fantastic bluebell show in spring, glorious autumn colours, and pure English woodland at any time.

See down here a bit...most is about the area around Ashridge.

https://answersrip.com/question/index?qid=20090925164041AAXrNwx&show=7#profile-info-72bb96464506356f045fbb2b82320d9eaa . . . . .