Question:
what is a thing called with what you transport yourself across the rails? each person pushes on turn,?
fira_r
2006-05-22 11:55:18 UTC
there are two persons on this platform and each person waits its turn; so when the other pushes the platform goes forward and when than the other pushes and the platform goed forward again, what is this old rail way this called?
Two answers:
DT89ACE
2006-05-22 16:49:57 UTC
Its technically a railroad hand cart...

Its nick-name is a GANDY DANCER!

Its and interesting but rather simple matter of mechanics.

As this diagam shows:

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/prrdiagr...

The handles rotate the gear connected to the driving axle. The connection of the handles to the gear works EXACTLY like the crankshaft on a internal combustion cylinder engine. One side pushes the connection to the gear down as the other moves up and then vice-versa.

Direction is determined simply by pushing the cart and getting it started in the direction its going. From there its just a matter of pumping.

I have had the chance on multiple occasions to operate one of these at a local museum, and its a load of fun...

We didn't have much track laid at the time but we got going over 25 miles per hour.. On a long stretch of level or downhill track, its not out of the question to get going near 50mph plus.

The only problem is braking. Simply a piece of leather or rubber on a block thats depressed by the foot against a wheel.
missinglincoln
2006-05-22 12:04:39 UTC
A handcart. Or, if you prefer, a railroad handcart.